Tuesday, August 23, 2011

39 Weeks!

Here we are! 39 weeks....1 week to go until D-Day and this baby seems to like his stay in my uterus very much, which is fine with his daddy and me. We have been saying all along how well it would work out if he stayed until his due date or later. It just works out better for us financially with work and what not. That was another reason why I kinda freaked out a few weeks ago when I was told he would probably be here way early. I guess if I had left it up to that doctor, he would have been here with us already, but I'm glad things have gone the way they have, even though it was stressful, I'm glad she was wrong (especially when she told me I wouldn't make it to my due date. Not that I have yet, but I'm just a few days away!)

Paul was in a class this week that he really couldn't skip out on (unless the baby came of course). Because I don't go to the doctor's by myself anymore, I decided to take my mom to meet McDreamy. This was to be a quick visit-the ultrasound will be next week, but I needed to have the usual urine sample, blood pressure, baby heart rate, and, my favorites, weight and internal exam. I am so used to this routine at this point that I go pee and do my weight on my own. It's hard to believe that this "routine" will all be over in just a few short days.

McDreamy came in and checked me out. I had 100 questions of course-one being "what's the plan from here on out?" Two of the very BIG points are two things that go hand in hand: one being how close I am to my due date and the other being the size of this baby. The options are to wait it out and see if I go on my own. If I do, then great, I may or may not have the baby vaginally-like most people. If I don't go on my own, and we get to my 40 week check up, I'll be checked out and have one more ultrasound, in which the baby will be reevaluated and measured. If at that point, he is more than 3,500 KG (or 9.5-10 pounds) he will nit be able to be delivered vaginally and a c-section will have to be scheduled. My other option is to be induced (which may or may not work-as Dr. Mootabar said MANY inductions are long and painful and wind up in a c-section). I once again reiterated that I am not comfortable with being induced and I finally asked if I was being stupid about feeling that way. My McDreamy told me I was absolutely not being stupid for feeling that way and he finally admitted (without actually admitting it-if that makes sense) that based on what he's seen during my exams in  the last couple of weeks that I wouldn't be a very good candidate for an induction and it would probably not work. He also said that he felt at the next ultrasound the baby would be "maxed out" meaning he wouldn't feel comfortable with me trying to give birth vaginally. I'm totally fine with that.

So he examined me, and sure enough, no dilation, no effacement. Same as the last couple of weeks. The cervix is a little soft but barely open at all-he said something like "I can barely get a finger tip in" (sorry if this is TMI). He couldn't feel the baby's head. Before leaving he told me that we will continue to wait-if baby doesn't come between today and my next appointment (which is Thursday, August 25), then we will go ahead with a scheduled c-section, which he wanted me to schedule before I left. The baby may come this week (which I am praying he DOES NOT) because McDreamy is on vacation....he said "I know you love me but I'm out of town this week." When he told me that I thought I'd have a heart attack. So this baby is going to wait it out for McDreamy! :-)

After we finished in the exam room, we went out to this little office in the lobby to make a date for the c-section. While I was talking to the secretary in this office making arrangements, my mom was waiting behind me and there was this women waiting to make another appointment at the front desk. The best way to describe this woman would be to say that she was a stereotypical Northern Westchester mom: hair and nails were perfect, she had about 3 karats in each ear, her outfit and shoes matched, her make up was perfectly done, but the worst part of it all, was that up and down, scope you out look that these types of women have perfected. She was making conversation with my mom. At first she tried talking to me but I didn't have the time nor did I want to pay attention to her comments or nosey questions. I found out later that from my mom that she rambled on and on comparing herself to me, telling my mom how huge I was, that I should have a c-section, asking how much weight I gained, telling her all about her kids....all the while, working that perfect "stare." She even commented about my ankles and legs. Can you imagine? I am so glad I paid no attention to her nonsense because I am at the point that I probably whipped out my good friend, Allyson's favorite line that she uses to totally inappropriate people which goes something like, "I don't see how any of this is any of your business or concern." I don't know where people think they get off with the questions and the prying when you are pregnant. I'm sure it'll get worse once the baby is born. I've really developed a thicker skin when it comes to listening to people banter on and on about their opinions, and especially when they judge you about what you are doing during your pregnancy, what you have done, or what you plan to do when your baby is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment