Thursday, August 11, 2011

BIG updates

It was just 3 short weeks ago that I was thrown into a panic thinking that this baby was coming way earlier than we had expected. Apparently, he's enjoying his stay in my uterus and I absolutely don't mind it one bit.

After my July 21st appointment at the doctor's office, I decided a few things:

  1. I am not going to an appointment by myself ever again. I don't usually and this may have been one of only two or three appointments that Paul missed, but no more. I will never go alone.
  2. I am only going to see one of two doctors during my last weeks of this pregnancy (so far, this has worked out well for me and I am doing much better-and you will read why.)
  3. I don't really love Dr. Werbin-Silver has much as I thought I did. I mean I like her and all but she totally freaked me out.
  4. I need to chill out.

So after the crazy appointment with Dr. Werbin-Silver, I thought I would just continue to go back to her since she had thought the baby's arrival was imminent and was very concerned, but I decided that I needed to go back to Mootabar (aka McDreamy) to get another opinion about this whole situation. I am so freakin' glad I did. At my 36 week check up on July 28th, he totally reassured me about everything. I was especially anxious because my whole family was going away for a week on August 1, and if I went into labor and had this baby when no one was around, it just wouldn't be good. He assured me that just because I am big doesn't mean he's coming-I wasn't dilated or effaced at all and that he wasn't going anywhere. Thank God. 

I continued to schedule my appointments with McDreamy for the next 2 weeks- August 5 and August 11 (today). I feel like I am living at the doctor since I'm on that once a week visit frequency. With these once a week visits come the "glorious" internal exams. I'm not going to get into the details about these folks, but for those of you who have been pregnant, you know what a real treat they are. At my appointment today, I was still "all closed up." I had an ultrasound that measured the BIG boy at 8 pounds 9 ounces with 2 weeks until my due date, however his growth had slowed down significantly. He measured at 7 pounds 15 ounces 3 weeks ago. So that made me feel a little better. However all of his measurements still put him in the "higher" percentiles....like his head is in the 97th%ile. This tells me that he's not coming out "the baby hole." I'm not really losing any fluid, he's in position to come out the baby hole but this guy is quite large so I'm not sure that's happening. He seems very happy in there. They did some stress-type test on him to see if he was in any kind of distress at all. He got a perfect score- 8/8, so he's perfectly happy, which is fine with me.

McDreamy told us there is nothing to do but wait until he wants to come. He explained he wouldn't want me to go much past my due date because of this babe's size. He won't commit to saying whether or not he thinks a c-section would be a better choice. He often talks about how if would be great if I had him NOW because he might not be too big to have him out of the baby hole. He said induction often times leads to a c-section so while it's an option, it doesn't always work. I gave him the BIG NO on the induction thing. I'm not really interested in being induced. I also asked if there is anything to genetics in labor and delivery, like do women sometimes have similar birthing experiences as their mothers and he said that often times, that's the case. Well, great, because when my mom had me her water broke, they induced her and nothing happened for 40+ hours except for a lot of unnecessary pain-no dilating, no push push, NOTHING. She had to have a c-section and she had general anesthesia. When I finally came out I had to be in a warmer for 4 days. I know that was 30 years go but still. I told McDreamy I'm not doing that. He told me to just chill and see how it goes. So now I'm just waiting. My gut has always told me that I was going to have a c-section, even before I knew I was pregnant, I just had a feeling, the same feeling I had when we decided to try to get pregnant and I knew it would be difficult. So now all we can do is sit and wait....

Every morning I wake up and wonder, "Is this the day I will be someone's mom?" This is all very surreal to me, I can't seem to comprehend what is about to happen. I just hope that when it does, its a happy transition and everyone adjusts well to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment