Saturday, January 8, 2011

A bump in the road...

So we went for the bloodwork and ultrasound on Thursday and I was on a euphoric high for about 24 hours. I felt calm and relaxed and not anxious about anything. I was thrilled that everything looked good and I heard my baby's heartbeat.

On Friday, Paul and I had a snow day, which was much needed. We were trying to De-Christmas the house and it couldn't have come at a better time. At about 11:30, my cell phone rang. It was the doctor's office. Now, they only call after bloodwork when something doesn't come back right. I panicked even before I picked up the phone.

The Norwalk office called (which is not where my regular nurse who usually calls me is located) to tell me that my Progesterone Level had dropped since last week. Progesterone is a hormone produced my the ovary which prepares the uterus for implantation, supports the early pregnancy, and nourishes the baby until about the 10th week or so. I was so shocked when she told me this that my psychotic interrogating instincts didn't kick in right away. The only questions I thought to ask were "How do we fix this?" "Do I need to come for more tests before next Thursday?" and "Are there any side effects to this medication?"

What I have to do from now until further notice is take vaginal suppositories called Promentrium (yes, VAGINAL suppositories-they look like little bullets) twice a day, in the morning and at night to help increase my progesterone levels until I'm far enough along so that the placenta can kick in (which is about 8-10 weeks-I will be 8 weeks on January 15). They are gross. Night time isn't so bad, but in the morning, I am going to have to wake up and shower and hour earlier so that I can put them in and lay down for an hour because I get dressed and start to move...So now it's just a waiting game. I have to wait until Monday to get more information from my nurse and I have to wait until next Thursday to hear that precious little heartbeat and/or see the growth that has been made in a week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment